To facilitate the electrification of the GWML numerous bridges are being demolished and
rebuilt to provide clearance for the new OLE. Andun were appointed by Hochtief UK to provide Engineering services for the a number of these bridge projects on the GWML. Andun acted as CRE (Design) on the project to produce F002 and F003 submissions for crane positions,propping schemes, temporary bridges and providing engineering advice related to demolition works.
Crane positions for bridge removal works (Dauntsey Lock and Notton Lane)
Specific works included:
- Design of crane platforms for 150, 250, and 500 Tonne mobile cranes. This included:
- Assessment of slope stability where cranes operated at the crest of slopes;
- Granular mat design — establish the thickness and construction of granular mat required to provide a stable working platform for the crane during operation. Including use of site won material;
- Loading checks on underground services / assets — Ensure that the loadings onto underground services / assets are within the allowable limits;
- Category II checks — Andun Ltd also provided independent checks on the design. F002/03 submissions;
- Temporary propping to bridges during demolition, including F002/03 submissions.
- Design of foundations for temporary footbridges;
- Assessment of slope stability where foundations were sited adjacent to slopes; F002/03 submission.